Thank you for your application to the Sixth Form at Glyn School. We very much enjoyed meeting those students who attended their meetings, and we look forward to meeting all other students in due course.
We are now in the final stages of confirming our Subject and Option Blocks to accommodate as many student preferences as possible. We will be posting out offer letters at the end of this week.
Admissions for September 2017 to July 2018
If you require a hard copy of the Sixth Form Application Form please contact email@example.com or telephone the Admissions Department on 0208 716 4949.
Applications received after the deadline of Monday 28 November 2016 will be placed our waiting list and ranked according to the criteria as stated in our Admissions Policy.
The requirements for entry into the Sixth Form for Level 3 study, for September 2017, are a minimum of 5 A*-C (or equivalent) GCSEs, including Level 4 or above in English and Maths. Students also have to meet the specified entry requirements for the courses they wish to study (please see below).
The requirements for entry into the Sixth Form for Level 2 study, for September 2017, are a minimum of 5 A*-D (or equivalent) GCSEs.
Current Glyn School students who will have attended Year 11 during the 2016/17 academic year are invited to progress into Year 12, providing they meet the entrance criteria. Year 11 students have priority over the admissions criteria listed below.
Glyn School welcomes applications for entry to the Sixth Form from male and female external applicants. Acceptance on to a programme of subjects/courses is subject to a student having achieved the entry requirements. Individual subjects may be limited in the number of students they can accommodate.
Application forms received after the deadline of Monday 28 November 2016 will be placed on a separate late applicants’ waiting list.
Should applications from suitably qualified external students exceed the number of places available, the following oversubscription criteria will apply:
Category 1: Looked After Children and Previously Looked After Children
Category 2: Exceptional Social/Medical Need
Category 3: External Students who have a Sibling in the School
Category 4: Children of Staff Employed to Work at Glyn School
Category 5: External students: The remaining places will be allocated on the basis of distance of a student’s permanent residence from the school, with those living nearer being given higher priority.
Further information regarding additional notes in relation to the above categories and full details of our admissions procedures are detailed in our Admissions Criteria for Sixth Form - September 2017 to July 2018 Policy (see link below).
If you wish to benefit from the excellent teaching, enriching opportunities and supportive community that Glyn School offers, we invite you to make an application.
Students are encouraged to submit their option choices through the online system. Should you wish to use a paper based ‘Options Form’, these are available from Student Reception upon request. All applications for September 2017 must be submitted by Monday 28 November 2016.
Students will be invited in to school to discuss their option choices and future plans between January and February 2017.
Following the receipt of applications, we build and finalise option blocks and will send initial offer letters to students by Wednesday 1 March 2017.
Students will need to reply to confirm whether they are accepting the place or not by Friday 18 March 2017. The reply also enables students to indicate any option changes they wish to make.
Students will be invited in to school to attend the induction days on Monday 26 and Tuesday 27 June 2017. We strongly recommend that students attend these so that they can experience the courses they are intending to study and, if necessary, make any option changes before the start of the term.
Final enrolment takes place on Thursday 24 August 2017 for internal students and on Friday 25 August 2017 for external students. External students will need to bring copies of their GCSE results with them to enrol on to courses.
28 November 2016
Deadline for applications
January to February 2017
Advice meetings with senior staff (internal and external applicants)
1 March 2017
Offer letters will be sent by 1 March 2017
17 March 2017
Deadline for accepting a place at Glyn School Sixth Form
Induction Packs sent
26 – 27 June 2017
Sixth Form Induction
28 June 2017
Parent Induction Information Evening
24 August 2017
GCSE results day
Enrolment of Internal Students
25 August 2017
Enrolment of External Students
4 September 2017
Subject Entry Criteria for September 2017
- Art and Design - Fine Art: Painting and Drawing: Grade B in Art GCSE
- Dance [studied at the Royal Academy of Dance, London, on Saturdays]: Subject to successful application to the Royal Academy of Dance.
- Drama and Theatre Studies: School entry criteria. Grade C in Drama GCSE, if studied.
- Music: Grade B in GCSE. Knowledge of Music Theory to Grade 5 standard. Practical performing ability to Grade 5/6 standard or equivalent. Ability to read music notation fluently.
- Photography: Grade C in either Art GCSE or Photography GCSE.
Computing and IT
- Computer Science: Grade B in Computing GCSE and Level 6 in Maths GCSE
- IT BCS Level 3 Certificate in IT User Skills [ECDL Advanced]: ECDL Level 2
- IT – BTEC Level 3: School entry criteria. Grade C in Computing GCSE or IT GCSE, if studied.
- IT – Tech Level Video Games Level 3: School entry criteria. Grade C in Computing GCSE or IT GCSE, if studied.
- Art Textiles: Studied at Rosebery School, Epsom. Good GCSE grade in Textiles and/or Art, but consideration given without these.
- Food Science and Nutrition Level 3: Grade C in Catering GCSE or Food Technology GCSE
- Product Design: Grade C in either DT Resistant Material, Graphics or Systems and Control with Grade C in the examination component. Students must have studied higher tier Maths with Level 4 in Maths GCSE.
- English Language and Literature: Level 6 or above in English Language GCSE and Level 5 in English Literature GCSE.
- English Literature: Level 6 in English Literature GCSE and Level 5 in English Language GCSE.
- Media: Level 4 or above in English Language GCSE or English Literature GCSE.
- Geography: Grade B in Geography GCSE.
- Government and Politics: School entry criteria.
- History: Grade B in History GCSE.
- Religious Studies [Philosophy & Ethics]: Grade C in Religious Studies GCSE.
- Travel and Tourism – BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate: School entry criteria.
- Maths: Level 6 in Maths GCSE.
- Maths – Core: Level 4 in Maths GCSE.
- Maths – Further Maths: Level 7 in Maths GCSE.
Modern Foreign Languages
- French: Grade B in French GCSE in the exam component.
- Spanish: Grade B in Spanish GCSE in the exam component.
- Physical Education: Grade C in Theory element of PE GCSE: recommended Grade B.
- Sport BTEC Level 3 Single: Development, Coaching and Fitness: School entry criteria.
- Sport BTEC Level 3 Double: Development, Coaching and Fitness: Grade C in PE GCSE.
- Applied Science Level 3 Extended Certificate: Grade C in Core and Additional Science.
- Biology: Grade B in Biology GCSE or BB in Core and Additional Science GCSE, including Grade B in Biology exams.
- Chemistry: Grade B in Chemistry GCSE or BB in Core and Additional Science GCSE, including Grade B in Chemistry exams and Level 6 in Maths GCSE.
- Environmental Science: Grade C in Geography and Core and Additional Science.
- Physics: Grade B in Physics GCSE or BB in Core and Additional Science GCSE, including Grade B in Physics exams and Level 6 in Maths GCSE.
- Business - BTEC Business Level 3: School entry criteria
- Business Studies: Grade C in Business Studies GCSE, if studied, and Level 4 in English and Maths
- Economics: Grade C in Business Studies, if studied, and Levels 5 in English and Maths GCSE
- Extended Learning Project: Level 5 in English Language GCSE.
- Law: School entry criteria.
- Psychology: Grade B in Biology GCSE or BB in Core and Additional Science GCSE.
- Sociology: School entry criteria.
- Uniformed Public Services - BTEC Level 3: School entry criteria.
Late admissions for 2016/17 (Year 12)
Please note that we are no longer accepting applicants into Year 12 for this academic year.