Part of the Glyn Academies Trust

Latest News

Surrey Cup Champions!

Surrey Cup Final - Wednesday 19 April

Glyn School 1st XI v Wilson’s School 1st XI

On a much anticipated evening at Corinthian-Casuals FC, Glyn 1st XI  attempted to gain the title of Surrey Cup Champions, the first time for eight years that this would have been achieved. Within minutes of the first whistle it was clear that the game was going to be a close encounter with both teams displaying characteristics of County Champions. Glyn had the  majority of possession and dominated, but failed to convert any of their chances with a number of corners narrowly missing their target. It was not until the 42nd minute that the deadlock was broken with a breakaway goal from Wilson’s right winger, enabling Wilson’s to take the lead into half time. Mr Churchill had some work to do at half time to ensure the players  remained confident in their ability to ensure a swift reply in the second half. Unfortunately this was not the case as Wilson’s Centre Forward converted a well-constructed chance in the 55th minute. At this time it became unlikely for a Glyn comeback as Wilson’s dominated play.

However, with 10 minutes left on the referee’s clock, Mr Churchill made some inspirational formation changes which left James Skelton upfront instead of his preferred positon of Centre Back. This seemed to inspire the Glyn team and, with no longer than three or four minutes on the clock, James Gough scored; there was a tiny hope for a Glyn comeback. Well into extra time of normal time, with Glyn dominating possession and Wilson’s trying to cling on to the victory, Ollie Twum managed to slot the ball into the back of the Wilson’s net after a scramble in the penalty area; 2-2 and into Extra Time.

Mr Churchill opted to adopt to a new formation, a traditional 4-4-2, with both teams looking to keep the ball and await an opening to secure the victory. Deep into the second half both coaches started making sure their penalty-takers were on the pitch as a penalty shootout looked the only way to split the two well-drilled and talented teams. Sonny Slinger, now playing up top alongside Shea Higgins, never gave up chasing any ball and, in the 119th minute, Slinger chased down a through-ball which looked inevitable to end up in the goalkeeper’s gloves, only to be able to pass the ball across goal for Jack Johnson to slot the ball into the back of the net. Wilson’s went on the offensive for the last minute but, thankfully for Glyn, to no avail.

Glyn had come back from 2-0 down to win the Surrey County Cup 3-2; an incredible achievement to keep their composure and skill level for such a long time, on such an important occasion.

Well done to all those involved and a thank you to those enthusiastic fans who created an amazing environment for our players to play in; I am sure this made a huge difference to their performance as the supporters merrily chanted:

“Mr Churchill’s Barmy Army”

“Twummy for England”

“Andrew Cooke is one of our own”

“Churchill’s blue army”

Squad: Ollie Twum (Captain), Ben Sharp, Josh Barnard, Ollie Jenkins, Josh Randall, James Skelton, Jackson March, Liam Vallance, Jack Johnson, James Gough, Taylor Woodcraft, Sonny Slinger, Shea Higgins, Matt Kerbey, Lateef Oladokun and Andrew Cooke.

“A pleasure to watch and a proud moment to be a member of Glyn.” Mr Martin, Head of PE and Games

“It was an unbelievable match, all the players showed great desire, passion and  commitment. James Skelton and Taylor Woodcraft played extremely well, both contenders for Man of the Match. It has been a real privilege working with such a great and talented bunch of players.” Mr Churchill, Manager

Mr Martin, Head of PE and Games