At Glyn, we consider work related learning is an essential part of the preparation for an adult life . It provides students with Key skills that employers are looking for so helps increase their chances of employment.
Other benefits are that work related learning will develop the students' understanding of the workings of businesses and an understanding of finance, labour markets, employer needs and provide students with the opportunity to develop their social and personal skills through enterprise, work related activities and opportunities for work experience.
Work-related learning should help our students
- Recognise, develop and apply skills for enterprise and employability.
- Develop their understanding of work.
- Learn about the way businesses operate.
- Develop an awareness of employment opportunities.
- Relate their own abilities, attributes and achievements to career intentions.
- Understand different work contexts and practices.
- Engage with challenges and applications from the business world empowering students.
- Raise students' aspirations.
- Promote equality and opportunity challenging stereotypes.
Below are several articles which discuss work experience which you may find interesting. Please click on the link to go to the relevant articles:
- UCAS website - Is work experience important?
- Allaboutcareers - Why is Work Experience Important?
- Parental Guidance - The importance of work experience
- UCAS website - Ten ways to get the most out of work experience
- National Careers Service - Work experience explained
- Pearson Website - How to find work experience
- Target Careers - Work experience for school students: what you need and how to get it
In Years 10 and 12 our students are normally given the opportunity to complete work experience at the end of the year. Unfortunately due to the current situation this is not going to be possible this year. We are investigating alternative provisions and many companies are offering virtual work experience. Please see our Virtual Work Expereince pages for more details and opportunities.