Virtual Work Experience
Virtual Work Experience will support students in gaining work experience in an area that they might not normally have the opportunity to see. This is a unique opportunity and will hopefully give our students an insight into the skills required for certain careers or in different employment sectors.
Below are a number of Virtual Work Experiences available. They cover a huge range of careers and employment sectors.
We are inviting your students to participate in two fantastic virtual work experience opportunities this summer hosted by Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) & National Grid. Both programmes will be hosted virtually.
TCS Digital Explorers 2021 - 28 June-1 July 2021
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) would like to offer your Year 10-12 students access to a range of fantastic live events as part of their award winning 'Digital Explorers' programme. Students interested in the technology/digital sector will have the unique chance to attend a total of four daily live events that last between 1-1.5 hours featuring digital experts and speakers. To learn more about the events click here.
Students in Years 10-12 can register by clicking this link. Students are encouraged to join all four events, however they are able to choose which events they attend and attending all four is not a requirement of the programme. You are also welcome to invite whole classes along. If you plan to engage a whole class, please email Sam to confirm arrangements. Applications close on Monday 21st June 2021.
National Grid Virtual Work Experience - 5 - 9 July 2021
Multinational energy company National Grid are offering your Year 12 & 13 students the chance to participate in a five day virtual work experience. Focusing on sustainability, students will learn more about what National Grid are doing to help the UK reach Net-Zero by 2030, meet employees through live daily sessions and access employability skills content.
There will be two hours of live content daily (09:00-10:00 & 13:00-14:00pm) with the remaining time designed to be flexible to fit around other commitments. The programme is open to all students including those interested in a career in the energy sector! Students can sign-up using this link, they will then be prompted to fill in a short application form (this should take no longer than ten minutes). We will then get in touch with all students confirming their spots and send further details.
Springpod are offering Virtual Work Experience Programmes and Insight Days that are free for students and can be completed at times to suit. Young people will receive a certificate from the employer at the end of the programme or use in CVs, Personal Statements and future interviews. The sessions all feature live interaction, allowing students to ask any burning questions directly to the experts. Tasks will be set during the programme which will be marked upon completion, helping students to gain career knowledge and experience.
Listed below are a number of opportunities, sorted by career, which cover a variety of pathways. These can be accessed via the links. The opportunities run from Monday 2 August to Friday 20 August and last for 10 hours, unless stated otherwise. The deadline for applications is Monday 26 July 2021 and these opportunities are open to students in Years 10, 11, 12 and 13.
- Graphics Design
- TV & Film
- Business Managment
- Software Development
- Graphic Design
- Social Media Marketing
- Allied Health Professional
For more information about future events, please click on the image below:
Other Virtual Work Experience Opportunities
The links below will help you gain an insight into a wide range of businesses and careers. These opportunities can be completed in your own time to broaden your outlook and skills:
Architecture – Halliday Fraser Munro - Design or Technology programmes using SketchUp and Revit (free downloads available)
Digital Technologies – iDEA - Develop your talents and gain all-important knowledge and information about the digital world with iDEA. You can win career-enhancing badges, unlock new opportunities and, ultimately, gain industry-recognised awards that will help you to stand out from the crowd.
Financial Services - Why not extend your Virtual Work Experience journey by learning about financial services through our online film which outlines how a bank works and the different role available?
Dentistry - New advice on gaining experience to support an application to dental school during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Dentistry Virtual Work Experience with Sheffield University Dental School, students can learn about different roles in dental practices, and an introduction into tooth anatomy and disease. Please note, students do not receive a certificate of completion, unless paying an upgrade fee, but students can evidence their work experience through clear and concise reflections on what they have learnt.
Medicine – Brighton & Sussex Medical School - This course provides a virtual work experience for those looking to apply to Medical School. You will be introduced to the NHS before exploring the roles and skill sets of six different medical specialists. Along the way, you will also consider some of the challenges and wider issues that doctors face.
Medicine – Royal College of General Practitioners - 'Observe GP' is an alternative to work experience for aspiring medics, aged 16 and over, who are living in the UK. It is a free interactive video platform providing insights into the role of a GP and the wider Primary Care team.
Medicine - The Queen Elizabeth Hospital has partnered with Medic Mentor, the UK’s largest medical family, to provide free live virtual work experience to any student in the UK wanting to become a doctor, dentist or vet. As a student, you will be able to ask any of the doctors questions about the cases you see. It will be as if you are really there, but from the comfort of your own home and without putting you at risk during the COVID pandemic.
- Occupational Therapy
- Prosthetics and orthotics
- Speech and language therapy
- Pharmacy and now includes Podiatry too!
The Work experience date is June 6th.
This programme is available to support all of your aspiring healthcare students as an alternative to in-person NHS work experience during the pandemic. Please inform your students who are interested in the NHS Allied Healthcare Professions.
During the work experience day, students will follow 2 patients from theirinitial presentation to recovery. Students will observe the healthcareprofessionals as they interact with the patients and and also each other.Students will have an opportunity to ask questions and gain knowledge throughteaching. This will help students to make an informed career decision as wellas learn about how healthcare professionals work together as part of a multidisciplinary team. Each work experience day is completely different and students will be able to build on their knowledge of NHS careers as they see different patient cases and their healthcare professionals work in a variety of settings, such as hospital and community.
You can learn more and register for the programme by clicking on this link.
The Medical Schools Council – have released guidance on work experience for aspiring students, and understand work experience and shadowing opportunities are not available at this time. As part of their guidance, they encourage students to keep a reflective diary of what is happening in the news relating to COVID-19, utilising online resources and if possible, completing volunteering and regular reflections on volunteering. Volunteering can cover supporting vulnerable people self-isolating at home.
Veterinary with the University of Nottingham - Get an insight into the reality of life as a vet so that you can make an informed decision about embarking of a career in the veterinary profession. Virtual work experience programme to do in your own time, provided by Future First in collaboration with the University of Nottingham.
The Lawyer Portal - Traditionally, work experience for law students has taken place within an actual law firm or barristers chambers. However, some law firms have paved the way for a new kind of virtual work experience for law students to allow them to see what life at a law firm might be like from the comfort of their own homes.
Law - White and Case - This virtual programme allows students to gain first-hand insight into life as a White & Case lawyer and experience the realities of cross-border law.
Speakers 4 Schools offer a range of areas for the focussed student. Please be aware of the various closing dates and it is competitive! Students need to register to look at the various opportunities on offer. Below are a selection of what the currently have available:
- Dates: 22 June 2021(10am -2pm)
- Eligibility: 14 – 19 year old interested in apprenticeships and careers in construction, transport and infrastructure.
- Application Deadline: 24 May 2021
- Dates: 22 June 2021(10am -1pm)
- Eligibility: 14 – 19 year old interested in careers in technology, operations, IT, information & analysis, environmental, engineering, digital & online, development, design, creative
- Application Deadline: 24 May 2021
- Dates: 24 June 2021(10am -1pm)
- Eligibility: 14 – 19 year old interested in careers in cyber security and British Forces
- Application Deadline: 24 May 2021
- Dates: 30 June 2021
- Eligibility: 14 – 19 year old interested in careers in banking and finace
- Application Deadline: 30 May 2021
- Dates: 30 June 2021(10am - 2.30pm)
- Eligibility: 14 – 19 year old interested in careers in NHS
- Application Deadline: 30 May 2021
- Dates: 8 July 2021 (10am - 12pm)
- Eligibility: 14 -19 year olds interested in careers in construction
- Application Deadline: 8 June 2021
- Dates: 23 June 2021
- Eligibility: 14 -19 year olds interested in careers in engineering
- Application Deadline: 16 June 2021
- Dates: 9 July 2021 (10am - 12.00pm)
- Eligibility: 14 -19 year olds interested in careers in IT/Cyber Security, Engineering, Design
- Application Deadline: 7 July 2021
- Dates: 29 June- 1 July 2021 (10am - 3pm)
- Eligibility: 14 -19 year olds interested in careers in engineering.
- Application Deadline: 31 May 2021
- Dates: 6 July 2021 (9am - 3pm)
- Eligibility: 14 -19 year olds interested in careers in Technology, Press & Marketing, Marketing & PR, IT, Digital Media & Publishing, Digital & Online, Design, Creative, Advertising Sales & Marketing
- Application Deadline 11 June 2021
- Dates: 21-23 June 2021
- Eligibility: 16 -19 year olds interested in careers in technology.
- Application Deadline: 4 June 2021
- Dates: 23 June 2021 (10am - 12pm)
- Eligibility: 14 -19 year old females who are interested in careers in Environmental, Education, Community Engagement
- Application Deadline: 23 May 2021
- Dates: 5 - 9 July 2021 (9:30am – 4:30pm)
- Eligibility: Year 11 students curious about a career in technology.
- Application Deadline: 9 May 2021
For a full list of placements - sign in here to search and apply.
Virtual Work Experience is new to all of us, so we currently have no feedback about what is available. Many of these experiences are open for students from 12 to 18 years of age, with reputable companies such as Barclays, Spotify and Royal College of Practitioners. Below is a link to an excellent article for Parents and Carers about Virtual Work Experience for their children:
- The Parent's Guide to Website - Virtual Work Experience - why it might help your child to stand out